The mental part of creating

The mental part of creating can be an incredibly subtle action. The self critique seems to have the ability to take center stage as the driving force of direction. I know for me that my opinions on art history lead me into a corral of what I thought my work should be like.
It was subtle, I rarely noticed my inner voice say things like "That doesn't look enough like Dali." or "Add more expression like Munch".   These where artist styles that I thought were "acceptable".

This is not a slam against art history. I am saying more that art history is not a guide to create by. It is an example of what has been created so that you can see creativity's diversity.

Most of art histories heroes where created by the price someone paid to own the art work by that artist.

The Migration: acrylic and graphite on wood, 2012. 24"x30"